Brandon Colantonio did not leave Las Vegas with a victory on Saturday night. The scorecards were wide, the prospect he faced moved to 6-0, and the result was never in doubt.
And yet by the final bell, plenty inside T-Mobile Arena were asking the same thing: Who is that guy?
Colantonio entered as the B-side opponent to unbeaten heavyweight Joshua Edwards on the Ryan Garcia vs Mario Barrios undercard. He exited as the first man to take Edwards beyond three rounds, the first to hear the final bell against him, and the first not to touch the canvas in the process.
He didn’t win, but he altered the conversation.
A Throwback In A Modern Division
Colantonio calls himself “The Real Life Rocky.” It could sound like branding. On Saturday, it felt like a description.
At 6-foot-4 and 29 years old, the Victoria, British Columbia native fights like someone from a different era, more concerned with lasting the distance than chasing highlight clips.
The lineage he references is deliberate. The blue-collar grit of Chuck Wepner. The stubborn resistance of Sammy Scaff, who went rounds with a young Mike Tyson. Fighters who are not built for posters, but for proving points.
Against Edwards, widely viewed as one of the division’s emerging punchers, Colantonio did exactly that. He absorbed early pressure, adjusted, and began landing his right hand late. He refused to fade.
“If it was a twelve-round fight, it’s a different story,” Colantonio said afterward. “The longer the fight goes, I just get started. I’m a twelve-round fighter. I was born to do this.”
Activity Over Hype
Heavyweight boxing in 2026 is rarely about activity. Modern heavyweights aren’t rushed. They’re moved carefully, with risk managed, and timelines often stretched out.
Colantonio’s recent schedule reads differently.
Saturday marked his third fight in three months. He boxed in January. He fought in November. He has already contested two title bouts in that stretch. His record now stands at 7-2 with one knockout across 47 professional rounds.
He’s not the type built for highlight reels — he’s the type built to stay there round after round.
“There’s stuff I could have done better,” he admitted. “I wanted the win. But he’s tough, and that’s what we expected. I’m always in shape, and I’ll always bring a good fight.”
That consistency was forged regionally, long before Las Vegas. He learned his trade in armouries and small halls across the Northwest, where reputations are earned the hard way.
From The Armoury To Las Vegas
Last year, Colantonio fought for a WBC bridgerweight title inside the brick walls of Victoria’s Bay Street Armoury, a venue that once hosted Joe Louis. For a heavyweight who talks about old-school values, the setting fits.
Bay Street Armoury is the kind of venue where boxing feels close enough to touch, with Rocky Marciano having officiated matches there decades earlier.
However, the bout ended in a no-contest after a cut halted proceedings, leaving the belt vacant.
“The non-result sucked, but the belt will be mine someday,” Colantonio said at the time, telling Cleve Dheensaw of the Times Colonist.
The bridgerweight division, introduced by the WBC in 2020 between cruiserweight and heavyweight, was another step in a career that has not followed a straight line.
As an amateur, Colantonio went 30-10 and finished as a national silver medalist, falling short of Olympic qualification. The disappointment shifted his approach.
“I took it hard when I didn’t make the Olympics,” he has said previously. “Now I’m looser. I’m having fun. I love being a pro boxer because of that.”
Outside the ring, he works as a foreman at H-L Disposal. He gardens with his wife, Liz. He credits coach Jason Heit for refining his style and sharpening his fundamentals.
“The reason I am where I am as a boxer is because of Jason,” Colantonio said. “I wasn’t the most gifted guy, but I work hard with heart, and I’m determined.”
A Statement Beyond The Scorecards
After the unanimous decision loss, Colantonio did not question the judging. He framed the night differently.
“I’m here to go to the States. I love how you guys treat me here. I’m here to represent the Pacific Northwest,” he said. “If Golden Boy or anybody wants to have me back, I’m ready. I’m always here, I’m always in shape, and I’ll always bring a good fight.”
He made another point just as clearly.
“I’m a clean athlete. I represent the people proudly. I’m here to fight.”
There was no knockdown. No dramatic unraveling. Just resistance, late momentum, and the kind of durability that rarely makes headlines but often shapes careers.
Colantonio’s record is not spotless. He has losses and a no-contest alongside his seven wins. Moreover, he has only one knockout in ten professional bouts.
But that’s not the story here; the story is about bringing back the old-school heavyweight who many thought no longer existed after the 80s and 90s.
He didn’t leave Las Vegas with a win. He left with proof that boxing still needs fighters like him.
About the Author
Phil Jay is the Editor-in-Chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a veteran boxing reporter with 15+ years of experience. He has interviewed world champions, broken international exclusives, and reported ringside since 2010. Read full bio.

























